Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.

Username: Password:

Poll

Do you want to know?

Yes (participant)
- 6 (37.5%)
Yes (non-participant)
- 0 (0%)
No (participant)
- 1 (6.3%)
No (non-participant)
- 1 (6.3%)
No preference
- 8 (50%)

Total Members Voted: 13

Pages: [1] 2   Go Down

Author Topic: [2012 Calendar] Costume Changes (Was: Who's drawing who)  (Read 39588 times)

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
[2012 Calendar] Costume Changes (Was: Who's drawing who)
« on: July 29, 2011, 10:50:52 AM »

Do you want to know which artists have claimed which characters?  Windrider and I can think of pros and cons to both sides of the coin and were curious if there was a strong preference in the community.
« Last Edit: August 04, 2011, 09:15:37 AM by Foxeye »

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: [2012 Calendar] Who's drawing who
« Reply #1 on: July 29, 2011, 12:51:00 PM »

The main "pro" for me is that it will be easier to keep track of who is assigned which character, especially now that two artists can be assigned the same character.  For the artists, maybe you'd think it'll be nice to know who else is drawing your favorite character before you choose them too?

Cons: Well, it takes away an element of surprise, but perhaps it is a big enough surprise to see what each artist does with the character.  Another con it that it may discourage a second person from taking a character if, say, Foxeye or Joselle (or other intimidatingly talented artist) has laid claim first.  Or maybe you guys would think that is a "pro?"

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #2 on: July 29, 2011, 03:35:34 PM »

Another con it that it may discourage a second person from taking a character if, say, Foxeye or Joselle (or other intimidatingly talented artist) has laid claim first.  Or maybe you guys would think that is a "pro?"

I think that some artists would like to know who else is drawing a character, especially if there are so many submissions that this turns into a contests after all. I know that if I have a handful of characters I would like to draw but only time for one or two, I would be more likely to choose characters not claimed by artists who were leagues and leagues above my skill level, or who were claimed by artists who have already claimed many other characters and may not have as much time to finish them as they think (especially if they have already finished a few) to increase my chances of having my art make it into the final product. If I only had one or two characters I had my heart set on and time to draw them both, I think it would matter less to me who else may be drawing them.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: July 29, 2011, 05:48:40 PM »

This may be a moot point, since I am finding it increasingly difficult to keep my lists in sync with all the new members flooding me with PMs!  It sure would be easier if the list was all in one place.  You guys could also double check to see that I really do have you listed for the characters that I said you could have.   :P

I just thought of another "pro."  So, two of you have the same character.  If you know the other artist or want to PM them, you can ask "what costume/hairstyle are they wearing in your picture?  I'll do a different one."  Stuff like that.

Tevokkia

• Wolf
    • View Profile
    • Tev's DeviantArt
« Reply #4 on: July 30, 2011, 08:55:00 AM »

Both very good points.

Also, since you are getting so many new people, even if we do know who's drawing who, there's still going to be a lot of surprise involved with the pieces, as many of the people won't have posted art here previously (myself included). So that really takes away the biggest part of the "con" argument.

Mirror

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: July 30, 2011, 10:16:12 AM »

Since every character can be drawn twice with the updated rules - does that mean that the characters may be featured twice in the calendar? Or will you choose just one of the versions, trying to cover as many characters as possible? If the latter is the case, and you publish the list of characters/designated artists, - it would almost seem like a head-to-head competition with another member of EQfanart. 

That would be a definate "con" for me.

Either way, with the overwhelming response this year, this is bound to be one of the best fan-calendars ever. If it continues like this, we'll have a 365-portraits "daily" calendar in some years ;D (Poor Windrider!)

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: July 30, 2011, 10:29:50 AM »

Mirror, see my other post.  I am doing my best to have this not be a contest and have everyone included.  That is one of the reasons to spread the artists out amongst lots of characters - you automatically have a calendar with a nice balance of characters.

And yes, Foxeye and I have already discussed the horror of doing a potential DAILY calendar.  ACK!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #7 on: July 30, 2011, 11:16:53 AM »

Since every character can be drawn twice with the updated rules - does that mean that the characters may be featured twice in the calendar? Or will you choose just one of the versions, trying to cover as many characters as possible? EQfanart. 

Characters could be featured twice, or even thrice, (under the one-year weekly calendar idea), but they would be different versions of the character (ie, original quest Strongbow vs. face fur strongbow), not two of the same version of that character. So yes, if a character has "taken x2" by it, that would unfortunately be a direct competition.

So a two year calendar is looking more attractive all the time. :)  I don't imagine it would even interfere with a 2013 monthly calendar contets next year since I think all of us are accustomed to having both a wall calendar AND a weekly planner. Well, folks who are the organized type anyhow...I don't think I've ever managed to use a weekly planner for it's intended purpose. *chuckle* They end up being mostly scribble pads.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: July 30, 2011, 11:49:58 AM »

Characters could be featured twice, or even thrice, (under the one-year weekly calendar idea), but they would be different versions of the character (ie, original quest Strongbow vs. face fur strongbow), not two of the same version of that character. So yes, if a character has "taken x2" by it, that would unfortunately be a direct competition.

Only if we have too much art for a one year calendar and not enough for a two year.  Even if two people draw face-fur Strongbow, they are going to be different interpretations.  As people are signing up for the x2, I am trying to point them to a different costume (at least) than the first artist is doing.  So at least the action pose will be different.

I don't mind having different artist's version of the same character in something as long as a two-year calendar.  If we allowed a free for all and didn't have a list, then things would get repetitive with 10 Nightfalls, etc.  But I think we'll maintain a decent balance even if there is some duplication.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #9 on: July 30, 2011, 12:10:06 PM »

Only if we have too much art for a one year calendar and not enough for a two year.  Even if two people draw face-fur Strongbow, they are going to be different interpretations.  As people are signing up for the x2, I am trying to point them to a different costume (at least) than the first artist is doing.  So at least the action pose will be different.

Yeah, I should have worded that better...I don't think it's a rule perse that two of the same wouldn't be chosen, but if the judges have to choose 52 out of 80 (for example), they are more likely to favor two different characters than two of the same.  
« Last Edit: July 30, 2011, 01:27:58 PM by Foxeye »

Multimedea

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: July 30, 2011, 02:01:16 PM »

Voted 'no preference'. I don't really care who picked what/is drawing who until I actually see the work. In art, your only competition is yourself (I should hope).  ;D
The sorrow of the elves is that
The things they love must die...
(The Tree of swords and jewels waits for me)
Time withers all about them,
Yet the elves it passes by...
(When shall I hang my own upon the Tree?)

branchscamper

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: July 30, 2011, 10:34:42 PM »

I also chose no preference.  In one way it ruins a kind of element of surprise, but if it keeps it better organized for everyone and people are more comfortable with names attached than an anonymous "taken" so be it.  I'm excited to be drawing and I imagine everyone is =D 

Mirror

• Wolf
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: July 31, 2011, 05:30:39 AM »

Yeah, I should have worded that better...I don't think it's a rule perse that two of the same wouldn't be chosen, but if the judges have to choose 52 out of 80 (for example), they are more likely to favor two different characters than two of the same.  

Yeah, that's what I assumed. Makes sense to feature as many characters as possible.
I hope we get engough participants to reach 104 pictures, though. I love the idea of a eq-fanart "yearbook" where all artists are included.
If you are at, let's say, 90 pictures a week before the deadline, I'm sure many of us are willing to step in and produce something "last minute" to reach the limit.

Unless that would a bunch of extra work for you guys who are organizing it all, of course. I'll buy the end result no matter what  ;D

On a side note; I'm on the EQ-fix of the decade right now. I'll be growing pointy ears soon.

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: August 01, 2011, 10:07:18 AM »

Okay, since most people either don't care or are for listing who has which character, I am going to make organizing this easier on myself and make the list here the master list.

An added plus is that I am going to list (where applicable) the costume choices by the artists, so that if two are drawing the same character, the second artist can draw a different costume at least.  Even in the "scantily clad" sexy view, Wendy usually included elements of the costume (unless totally nude), so that will help to add variety.

Those of you who have characters with different costumes throughout the saga, please PM me and let me know which you are doing!

Edit: Oh yeah, this may take a while to convert the list, but I hope to get started today.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #14 on: August 01, 2011, 10:47:21 AM »

One thing that would be helpful would be to PM Windrider an actual example of the outfit from the Digital Comics at EQ that she can include, because some of these outfits get to be obscure, especially those from the non-Wendy spinoff series.

Here are two of mine, as an example.

Ember & Teir from Hidden Years #20 --> Example

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: August 02, 2011, 08:50:50 AM »

Do we need to call the outfit for every character we're doing?  Or only in cases where there are enough choices for it to be a question?

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: August 02, 2011, 09:46:38 AM »

Ah, that brings back memories, Tavie!  Those costume re-designs were actually for Full Circle, as I remember looking over Wendy's shoulder as she drew them (and I even got to contribute ideas!).  Of course, these costumes are also still in use for Searcher and Discovery, since all those stories are the same time frame more or less.

Eregyrn, no I need artists to specify costumes only if the character has many to choose from - especially if another artist is drawing the same character.   I think you are set on your characters.  ;)

Eregyrn

• Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: August 04, 2011, 08:47:54 AM »

Windrider -- good to know! :)  I think two of my three have 1 basic costume choice, and the other one I'm probably going to have to make up somewhat anyway...

And if you're looking for references for costumes from other eras, this thread on the Scroll has lots of images: http://www.elfquest.com/social/index.php?do=/forum/-3/eq-characters-costume-changes-minor-plot-spoilers/page_1/

Tavie

There was a person a long while ago (I mean back in the days of the old Scroll) who had a website that had a page for each character, and on that page there was a collection of images of each of the character's costumes throughout their history.  But then that page went away...  I still have it bookmarked at home, I think, but by now the page has probably gone away entirely.

It was such a useful resource -- not just if you're doing pics of canon characters, but also for someone like me, when I'm designing new costumes for fan characters. (I am not a very creative costume designer, so I like to look at a "library" of classic elements to choose things I'd like to incorporate.)  It's the kind of thing that would be even easier to add to now that all the EQ comics are online... and it's a project I'd consider doing, but it'd be nice not to have to reinvent the wheel (i.e. re-gather those images that had already been collected by the person who first did the project).

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: August 04, 2011, 09:07:39 AM »

I wonder if we should change this to the "costume" thread, to help people find reference for the calendar and post pictures or links to costumes.  I am fielding an awful lot of costume questions and I don't have all the answers.

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #20 on: August 04, 2011, 09:14:56 AM »

Yes, let's do that.  I like helping people with costume hunts. ^_^

silentleaf

• Fan Calendar Participant
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
Re: [2012 Calendar] Costume Changes (Was: Who's drawing who)
« Reply #21 on: August 04, 2011, 09:56:11 AM »

I need a few good ones of Trueflight and Rillfisher. =D I found some for my sexy Treestump so i think I'm good on him. his sketches are about done in the clean up stage then to COLOR!!!! YESS

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #22 on: August 04, 2011, 10:29:23 AM »

OK, let's see if these links to the online comics work...

Trueflight:
This page and the next are her only appearances (you get to pick your own colors ;) )

Rillfisher Outfit that she had when she died:
Kings of the Broken Wheel
Wolfrider
Wolfrider (same tunic, just not folded off the shoulder so much)

Naked (Colored!) Rillfisher:
Hidden Years (she's in the stream)

Older Sleeveless Outfit:
Wolfrider
Wolfrider

She's also in the Beloved Dead Centerfold:
Cafepress

Windrider

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: August 04, 2011, 10:49:10 AM »

Mirror is doing the Beloved Dead costume for Rillfisher, but the other ones are good reference too, Leaf!

Foxeye

• Calendar Judge
  • Tuftear
    • View Profile
    • Jungle Fire
« Reply #24 on: August 04, 2011, 11:14:50 AM »

The one she had when she died is the same as the Beloved Dead costume, so that just leaves this older one:

Older Sleeveless Outfit:
Wolfrider
Wolfrider

Which is a little rough, since we don't see her below the waist. But on the upside, you get to fill in the blanks yourself. :)
Pages: [1] 2   Go Up